Wednesday, July 20, 2005

So What's It Like To Be Dead?

Dad's funeral was today.

My son wore his newly purchased suit, as Dad requested.

Dad's long time pastor did the service -- he did my Mom's funeral as well, and he and I did Dad's wedding when he remarried a while back.

I've been thinking about what death is like.

Preachers are supposed to know the answer, but I don't.

I hear a lot of theological crap about death. Pearly gates? Great food? I heard one preacher talk about how he would play tennis in heaven -- yes, he played great tennis on earth. I'd like to play tennis in heaven also -- and no, I don't play on earth.

When I read through the Bible, the only real image I get is that we will be worshipping God in heaven -- which means some people aren't going to be happy. "Where's the buffet?" How disappointing some will be to see it's the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper that will be their feast.

They missed the point of life -- they might miss the point of the after life.

I'm babbling.

I do that when I'm tired.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

You're allowed to babble. It's been a long week I'm sure.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Theresa Coleman said...

It's OK to babble. It's OK to feel lost. I lost both of my parents by age 41 -- and I felt like an orphan. Funny how it works that way.

Prayer to you and yours today.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home