Tuesday, July 19, 2005

My Favorite Part Of Funerals

The best part of the funeral is what happens the days before, and right after the funeral itself.

It's the laughter. The sharing of memories. The being together with families.

I've been with so many families that cried and mourned so deeply and painfully, and I know there are times when deaths are like that. My oldest sister died during surgery. We didn't have a clue that might happen. My older sister died at the age of 7.

Not much laughter there -- not until long after the burial.

But for Dad, as it was for my mother a few years ago, death came slowly and quietly -- and probably at a good time. The wait was not so long that the body was in such pain, or the mind was so dimmed.

I've been at home today -- Dad's home. People have come and gone all day. They've brought food, flowers, and sometimes a few stories to tell about Dad.

I've heard the stories before, but I enjoy hearing them again and again -- and especially now.

I think there is something healing about the telling of stories.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came upon your blog. I'm so sorry for your loss.

My dad died almost 4 years ago. (Still it's hard to believe) I remember his long time friends and work buddies standing out in the driveway after the funeral. They were each imitating my dad's loud and unique way of talking. It was hilarious! It's nice to know they thought so much of him and knew it was a 'tribute' to poke fun at him!

God bless you as you walk through this time of grief.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Karen Sapio said...

Remember the stories and take notes for your own grandchildren.

5:56 PM  
Blogger IMO said...

Stories are great and we all would do well to do more story telling. Isn't that what Jesus did? I'm sorry for your loss. I am not looking forward to the time that this comes for me. I read your profile and you sound like a great guy. It is interesting that you choose the word Apostle. There are not many out there--my husband is one of them. I consider myself more of a prophet--an interesting relationship we have. I'll be back. Come by and visit if you have a chance.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home