Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Missed Opportunities


For the past few years I have tried to get someone in my family to join me on a trip to Butterfly World. It is in Pompano Beach, and a few years ago I started going there whenever I would have to go to the Office of the Presbytery of Tropical Florida.

It is a wonderful place.

Soft music.

Flowers and well cared for gardens.

Birds in aviaries.

And butterflies -- hundreds of butterflies.

Today I got one of my sons and his girl friend to go with me to Butterfly World. From the first minute they were enchanted by this place. My son took over 200 digital photos. When it was time to leave, it was like pulling teeth.

It made me wonder, how many times do we fail to try something new or different? Wonderful opportunities are all around us, and we let them pass us by.

At least I got one son to go to Butterfly World. For the rest, it remains a lost opportunity they could be enjoying.

I wonder how many opportunities for joy and beauty I have let pass by?

5 Comments:

Blogger Angelique said...

We do let beautiful moments and opportunities pass us by but a beautiful moment to you can be completely different to someone else. I love going to the opera and feeling the music so deeply that I cry but I look at my husband who looks like he is going to die any second because to him it sounds like cats screaming. Some experiences can't be forced on others but given some time and understanding they will comprehend the beauty of life in things so simple and small but completely peaceful.

3:50 AM  
Blogger Jody Harrington said...

If you're ever in Houston, you must go to the Museum of Natural Science's excellent Butterfly Center and Live Insect Zoo. You walk into an several story glassed arboretum full of gorgeous, live butterflies!

8:56 AM  
Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

we seem to do this alot--overlap on blogging topics! what's that they say about great minds...? lol...

opportunity taken

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm sure that was even better than Dollywood and Dolly Parton's mechanical butterflies! ;)

All kidding aside, it is amazing how our tunnel vision seems to cheat us out of seeing so many wonderful opportunities and blessings of God.

11:41 PM  
Blogger see-through faith said...

We visited Pompano beach a couple of years ago. I'd willingly have gone with you to Butterfly world ...a bit far from Finland. next time maybe??

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home