Saturday, January 07, 2006

Passion -- No2Torture -- and the Book of Daniel

Rick, the moderator of the national level of our denomination, is a great guy.

I am continually impressed by this man. He is a true Christian and a wonderful leader and healer.

I saw him at a conference here in South Florida -- No2Torture.

One of the introductory remarks he made was about how Christians should be passionate. This is not an exact quote -- but it is close.

"In the church we should talk from our passion. In the church we often moderate passion. If you moderate your views, I'll moderate my views. Then we can just meet in the middle and get along."

Rick said we should remain passionate about the things we believe -- but instead of everyone moderating their views to passionless positions, we should be more respectful of one another.

Hopefully I'll write about some of the conference issues later.

On another topic -- or maybe on the same topic -- I missed the new NBC show, "The Book of Daniel." Thankfully there is the VCR! I found it crowded with efforts to establish all too quickly everyone's character. There were some "balony factors" you just have to accept (would any vestry, session or board NOT call the police when they find a few millions missing from the church school fund?).

All in all, I loved it. I thought it was a great show. Ministers are human, and while everyone knows that, it seems we prefer to pretend they (we) are not human. I also loved the way Jesus was portrayed. I found Him the most real of all.

I've received tons of email from folks asking me to join the petition to have this show removed from the NBC line-up. Those people do feel passionate. OK -- I can live with that. I hope they live with the fact that I really liked the show and look forward to more to come.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, John. I have never met Rick -- but from all I read about and by him I like what he is doing. I also did not catch the new series -- but sounds like it is an honest depiction of ministers -- in all their humanity!

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, John. I have never met Rick -- but from all I read about and by him I like what he is doing. I also did not catch the new series -- but sounds like it is an honest depiction of ministers -- in all their humanity!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

I've been enjoying your blog for awhile - can't remember if I've ever posted a comment.

The more I think about The Book of Daniel, the more I realize I hate it. But not for any reasons having to do with the Christian right.

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also enjoy your posts. I am not a pastor, but have been a member (very active) and worked (full time) at the same Presbyterian church for over 20 years. Needless to say - I love my work and my church.

I liked the tv show "The Book of Daniel". They squeezed a lot of information into the first show, but I'm looking forward to how they treat these situations. With grace, I hope. They've made a good start.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home