Wednesday, August 10, 2005

A Few More Thoughts On Sex

"Kitty Titty" left a nice comment on my last post.

"Kitty Titty" was talking about sex -- is it just me or is that name... well, never mind.

Thanks to all who leave comments. I do enjoy them. I wanted to comment on one thing that Kitty raised. As long as people practice safe sex, what's the harm in having sex outside of marriage?

Great question. What is the harm?

In Old Testament times, shrimp was unclean. (Shrimp and sex? Stay with me for a moment).

Who cares about spiritually unclean food? I sure didn't last night as I feasted on shrimp, fish and clams. Hmmm, are clams unclean also? Whatever. I ate up and plan to eat the leftovers at lunch.

But I know why shrimp was considered unclean. Years ago I lived on the coast of Georgia and a couple of times each year a friend and I would take a drag net and go shrimping along the beaches and in the marshes. My share would be about 50 pounds of shrimp. I learned quickly that if you didn't put these critters on ice immediately, they would die and begin to go bad within minutes.

In Old Testament times, there would be no way to safely eat shrimp more than a 100 yards from the beach. Hence, unclean!

Some Old Testament laws make sense only after we understand the historical context.

So back to sex.

Are the reasons for sexual rules no longer valid?

I think there were three reasons why the Scripture lifts up sex in marriage, and only in marriage, as the ideal.

First, safety. Sex produces lots of pleasure, babies and -- yes -- diseases. AIDS may be new, but there have always been health issues related to sex with multiple partners. So use a condom, and you're safe. For the sake of avoiding a debate, let's say a condom is 100% effective. That's one down, what about the other two reasons?

Second reason, children. Sex produces diseases, pleasure and -- yes -- babies. Children should be raised in a family. Junior should know who Daddy is. Again, use a condom, add a pill -- and for the sake of avoiding a debate, let's say those methods are 100% effective. That's two down, what about the other issue.

There is a third reason. Sex produces babies, diseases and --yes -- lot's of pleasure for our horny world. So, why not just enjoy the pleasure.

I believe the pleasure is not only physical, but spiritual as well. We can debate this all day, and I'm sure there will be comments disagreeing and others that agree. But the reality is that if you have little or no spirituality you won't have the ability to understand this part of sexuality. For those who enjoy only the physical side of sexuality, I don't know how to express the spiritual nature of it.

It's like people who use poor grammar and say "between you and I" rather than "between you and me." They don't have a clue why "I" can't be an object of a preposition.

Or it's like people who eat hot apple pie without taking the time to top it off with ice cream.

How do I explain the spirituality of sex?

7 Comments:

Blogger EMC said...

That's it? That's all you've got? There is nothing (specifically) about shrimp in the bible, and lots about sex, and this is all you can come up with?

9:19 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

A somewhat random interjection/correction: Actually, there are STD's one can acquire even while wearing the hypothetical "100% effective" condom. HPV, Human Papilloma Virus (may be a little off on the spelling there...) is one of them, and probably herpes as well.

Enjoying reading the blog, by the way. Keep it coming!

4:46 PM  
Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

i completely understand where you are going with that thought. once you've experienced something beyond the physical pleasures of sex, it's as if a light bulb comes on & you understand how something that can be unbelievably good becomes indescribably better. everything pales in comparison (if you have anything to compare it to, that is). i suppose it's sort of like what "they" say about the flu: if you have to ask, you don't have it. when you have that sort of connection with someone way down into the depths of your very soul, you wonder how you could ever do without it.

really enjoying your candid, well-written thoughts. =)

8:47 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

I am glad you appreciated my comment. I always enjoy reading your blog. For an explanation on why I named my blog "Kitty Titty" read the very first blog entry. Also, I like names that rhyme. Personally, I don't eat sea food because I have this fear that the ocean is turning into one big toilet but that's just my wierdness. I think that anyone can have sex and maybe there are people out there who need to. I see it as a form of exercise and stress relief. My theory is that all of these nations that are now in conflict have stigmas against sex and this causes a lot of frustration for themselves and for the rest of the world. I agree no one can truly explain the spirtuality of sex. A person must experience it on their own.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog, and will be reading more.

I understand that extramarital sex is wrong, but I think you found the key issue: how can you say that's wrong, and still say shrimp is OK.

And if you enumerate pleasure as one of sex's characteristics, then why isn't 'flavor' and 'nourishment' on the list of shrimp's characteristics. An orthodox fisherman isn't to eat shrimp even on the boat. Even though they didn't have ice, they could keep the shrimp alive in a bucket...

12:59 PM  
Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

I'm not so sure about your shrimp analogy, but I agree about your comment on the spiritual side of sex, God's plan is perfect for love and marriage and sex...His plan is perfect, but this people aren't. too bad,
i'd write more but my husband is calling...Song of Songs 1:16

9:35 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

I think you don't have more comments about your posts on sex because of a few different reasons. First, even though people enjoy it, it's still not a very open topic in America (although that is sort of changing with shows like "Sex and the City" where sexual topics are discussed openly between friends). Also, I think most people, even if they aren't Christians, can understand what the Bible says about sex. If most people are honest, they (and I am included) have a certain amount of shame regarding their sexual history and/or current practices. For some reason, it makes it a little bit more difficult to comment on than say, praying for your enemies. The more a person can relate to the topic, the more difficult to be honest without being judged by others. Just my two cents...

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home