Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Praying for Osama Bin Ladin -- AND Pat Robertson

A few posts ago I suggested that Christ commanded us to pray for our enemies. This includes the mandate to pray for Osama.

Now I find an even more difficult prayer to lift up -- one for Pat Robertson.

By now you probably know this Christian television minister has called for the assassination of the Venezuelan head of state. Imagine what would happen if a Muslim religious leader called for the assassination of our head of state, George W. Bush?

Actually, I think that has happened.

Which brings me to ask a question -- what is the difference between the extremist, right-wing fundamentalist Christian and the extremist, right-wing, fundamentalist Muslim?

Whatever differences they have, I think there is one thing they share in common -- they've lost touch with the God they seek.

As the real Apostle John said: "Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." I John 4:7-8

9 Comments:

Blogger littledminor said...

Pat Robertson and the like make all of us God lovin' folks look bad.
GEEZ! It makes my blood boil.

4:09 PM  
Blogger littledminor said...

and just to add,
"Cuban President Fidel Castro, who was standing next to Chavez stroking his beard, referred to Robertson's statements saying he thought "only God can punish crimes of such magnitude."

4:15 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Pat Robertson is an idiot. I think that he was voicing his own opinion but when you hold a job preaching how you should love your fellow man, maybe calling to assassinate a fellow human being is the wrong thing to do. I hear that he is saying that his speech was taken out of context but I don't know how calling for the murder of another person can be taken out of context.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats with Pat Robertson? Aside from the recent comments on Chavez theres a whole kettle brewing here on his verbal diarrhoea with regard to other faiths. One would expect a little more compassion and sensitivity from a person of his stature.
I sometimes watch him on God TV here in India and its quite hurtful sometimes to hear the harsh words he uses when he speaks of anyone who does not belong to the Christian faith. Sometimes his words are downright hateful and venomous. I love my Hindu and Muslim fellowmen although I do not agree with their beliefs but sometimes I think Pat is very hurtful with his words when he addresses their beliefs.At this rate he only manages to shove the more intelligent and passionate ones among them, farther away from the true faith.

2:31 PM  
Blogger MaCaleb said...

Hi,
Nice to meet you. BTW, where did you attend seminary?

12:36 PM  
Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

Yeah - I like the idea of special prayers for those who wish us harm on Sunday, 9/11. Where does Robertson fit in? He's not exactly my enemy, but I sure don't agree with his "brand" of Christianity.

Maybe I'll do something like, "Pray for those who wish to harm us and pray for those who wish to harm others."

10:14 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

I happend upon your blog by accident and wanted to say how refreshing I find it. I'm from N. Florida where right-wing conservatives live in abundance and yes, I've ended up with a somewhat negative view of organized religion. Reading your blog reminds me of the small community church I attended when I was growing up in Ohio where compassion and love of you fellow man was a mainstay. Thank you for that.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Dreamspinner said...

Robertson and other dominionists forget that we are not here to reform the world to our liking.
I'm not at all surprised at his comments.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a foreign national following events in USA, it is good to see that real Christians are not voicing their support for this demented creature posing as a prophet. Despite what Pat and his kind think, the rest of the world does NOT hate USA. We just grive when people with influence and power in US call for deaths of heads of democratically elected heads of state.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home