Monday, August 15, 2005

Pray for PEACH?

Gee, all I did was say we should do what Jesus told us to do -- pray for our enemies.

Wow, did the comments pour in!!!!!!

If you are not a Christian, don't worry about it.

If you are a Christian, like it or not, you need to struggle with this mandate from Christ. I know it's tough -- it's taken me 4 years, 10 months and 26 days to even start to think about praying for Osama.

Prayer.

I would have thought that my post about sex would have had more comments -- but I really touched a nerve here with praying for Osama.

Before the war began in Iraq, I participated in a peaceful demonstration. I decided I needed a sign to carry. Hmmm, what to put on it?

"Pray for Peace." Simple, direct, and who could take offense at that. No burning the flag. No insults about the President. Just "pray for peace."

I bought a brand new poster board and slowly and carefully wrote each letter -- large and bold for all to see.

P - E -A -C -H

H?

Pray for Peach?

Must have been close to lunch time.

I've always thought that the dictionary is just "one person's opinion of correct spelling," but this definitely had to be corrected. I sure couldn't use the other side, because people behind me would see the error of my ways.

So I marched without a sign.

We sang as we walked, "God Bless America." We occasionally chanted, "All we are saying is give peace a chance." (Yes, I sang correctly -- I wasn't about to chant, "Give peach a chance.")

We didn't change anything -- the war still started a few weeks later. But what amazed me is that we seemed to give people permission to speak out against the war at a time when doing so opened you to attacks of being unpatriotic.

I never feel more patriotic than when I can enjoy my first amendment rights -- free speech, freedom of religion, freedom to peacefully assemble. It is a great country. I haven't protested many things -- the unfair firing of my high school principal, segregation, and this war.

Thanks to all those who enjoyed your first amendment rights in my blog's comment section.

It does not bother me that so many comments are in favor of this war.

What stunned me is there is so much opposition to peace.

Is peace really such a terrible thing?

I'm not going to say that all war is wrong, because I really don't feel that way. Perhaps I should.

I rejoiced the night we invaded Afghanistan. We were after Osama.

I rejoiced when Bush, Sr., invated Iraq. We were in a noble fight in a broad coalition to defend Kuwait.

I often interview Veterans of World War II in an oral history project for the Library of Congress and the National Archives. I'm proud of what our nation did then.

As a child -- or very young teenager -- I marched with Martin Luther King, Jr. OK, I admit, he was in the street, I was in the street, I was several blocks behind him and may have gotten a glimpse of the back of his head sometime during the day -- but hey, there I was marching with Dr. King :)

Was it King who said, "The road to peace is peace"?

If you have comments on this post, make them peaceful. If you behave, perhaps in my next post I'll share the story of the time my brother, wife and I went to visit Haulover Beach. For those who aren't from Miami, that's the beach that's... well, I'll tell you later.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No stress Apostle John. There will be peace, when our brave young men and women finish draining the swamp of Osama's murderous thugs.

By the way, the firestorm that was starting to hit your blog was not a prayer for peace, but was the comment. "your servant Osama".

That wording that you wisely removed initially stirred up a lot of justifiable anger.

Happy trails. RG

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love and pray for your enemies. The road to peace is not war. PEACE PEACE PEACE please .... and plums (not peaches), apricots, apples, oranges, strawberries, raspberries, paw paw ....

Pray for peaceful comments on a wonderful blog to a wise man teaching peace and peaches.

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw - I peacefully disagree with the one that got above me

11:20 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Apostle John, you opened up a can of worms in your last post but listening to others opinions is the blog business. Personally, you have a lot of guts. People have very strong opinions about Osama and the war and it takes a firm belief to stand up against popular opinion. I think it's awesome that you marched next to Martin Luther King Jr. Keep up the good work in changing our future for the better.

11:29 PM  
Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

i get what you're saying here. yep. but really all i have to say is a very benign: PEACH?? LOL! thanks for the giggle. you write with amazing wit & grace. =)

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Augustine had a good word on peace.

Peace, he said, for them might mean death for us.

Always need to get the definition of "peace" before you lay down your arms.
In fact, if it's such a keen idea, make the other guy lay his down first.

12:09 AM  
Blogger dcat said...

FOAD A** H***!

Peace will happen! It will be people like you that won't let it happen! Give it up till you get real facts! Take the blinder off!

This is what I Pray for is for all the liberals to wake up! Fight evil!

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is what we are doing. Helping our fellow human beings, especially the most innocent children in Iraq:

Sunshine

The horror that this child lives next to, so much so that she is afraid to open her window, is what we will resolve.

It breaks my heart to hear this Iraqi child who calls herself Sunshine, tells an American Soldier "We are a team". Lets get the truth out!

You anti-war people are, especially "ministers" who could care less for fighting for the freedom of children like Sunshine by taking a stand against our War on (this type of) Terror when we have the power to do so given to us by God, to bring freedom to children, the future of this world, is totally, totally inexcusable.

Sunshine is a part of the "team" of people willing to drive terror away from her window, and we are not coming home until the whole team is free.

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will pray for peace, I will pray for Osama, Bush and rg. And thank you Apostle John, you are very wise, sincere and courageous.

5:18 AM  
Blogger FRITZ said...

I don't think John should retract what he said at all.

I think that peace is a perfectly acceptable thing to pray for, and I think that if you are a Christian or not, loving an enemy is the wisest, most logical thing to do, because love begets peace.

I think Osama is a servant of God, whether he accepts that notion or not. I feel sorry for Saddam in the pictures of his underwear. I think America has to remember what the roles are we should focus on.

Little children suffering in Iraq is terrible. But creating more suffering is worse. There are children in America who need love and support; should we not remember them in our prayers, rg?

And lastly: let us remember that Jesus never preached war at all. Sometimes, I guess it is necessary. But as Doctorow says (check out my archives); Bush entered into this war when it was NOT necessary. He does not seem to care that so many soldiers are dying. He does not have any sense of the loss.

I pray for Bush, that he will be hit over the head with logic. Then, we might live in better time.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for another great post. And thanks for writing about peace, for preaching peace, for working for peace, for doing what you can to make God's will for peace, love, and justice a reality. As you commented on my post, praying for our enemies (especially "the antoagonist who comes to Church every Sunday":)) and working for peace is not easy and does not make us popular -- but it is still what Christ calls us to do!

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

agree absolutely with everything Fritz says and it might help this blogsphere if the apple drops on rg's pretty little head and both he and Bush wake up enlightened.

So much anger in the world - you can't talk about constructive peace without getting beaten up by deconstuctors!

Anyway, as someone who swims in the sea 365 days a year, I am looking forward to hearing about the beach with the funny name.

So as Jesus says in that movie 'Son of Man', ''...give to God what belongs to God and SHUT UP!"

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(AND AGREE WITH REV BILL TOO)

8:27 AM  
Blogger Karen Sapio said...

Pray for Peach--yes, once many years ago I was in some kind of demonstration and wondered why folks were chanting, "Chops and Peas! Chops and Peas!" Then someone told me they were chanting, "Jobs and Peace!" Like you say--too close to dinner. After that I considered the possibility that mostly protesters--of whatever stripe--succeed in looking foolish rather than accomplishing the aim for which they work. Not always, but mostly.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm agreeing with Aubrey. There is a need for the defining of terms. The term "peace" has been so overused that I wonder if there isn't a different thought for what it means for every person who uses it. If peace for "you" means death for "me", am I to pray for you and die quietly? If peace for "you" means that I am to renounce the name of Jesus, what then? We'd better know what we're marching for before we pick up the sign.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Well Apostle John, I do believe you have your very own troll!!

You've arrived. (smile)

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

phooee!

All he said was pray for your enemies and pray for peace and peaceful comments please.

Amazing. Some of these comments display incredible struggle with logic and comprehension - 'peace kills'? Get real. What a sanctimonious lot.

Let peace mean what is says, strive for it and then it will happen.

God has blessed Apostle John with wisdom.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Captainwow said...

Pray for PEACH!! I LOVE IT! BAAAHAHAHHAAA!! That would have been SOOO much fun to walk around with, but maybe not the time for humor of that sort...
anyway - peace on you -
thanks for your visit to my blog and for being a lover of Peach.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry skye - you just don't get it do you

get a life

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shouldn't have bothered to look again but I did so for the last time, because I haven't got time to look at this blog anymore, you do not get it. Obviously you are not describing peace are you?! War makes things worse. But of course you probably think Bush will save the world by taking control with force. You live in ignorance. God bless amerikaaghhhhh. I am so glad I am not American. You can place as much sarcastic abuse after me as you like - I really can't be bothered. So Good Bye Apostle John, I hope more people accept your wisdom.

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fashion

Well, that is pretty superficial.

bye

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home