Sunday, August 21, 2005

Sunday School -- Am I a Child of God?

I sometimes get this strange feeling that the Holy Spirit might just be in control of the stuff around my life.

I had the feeling as I sat in Sunday School.

I don't often go to Sunday School unless I am teaching, but today I sat as a student in one of our classes that is studying Matthew's Gospel.

Do I need to tell you what today's lesson was about?

Matthew 5:43-48: Jesus said, "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

It was during this reading that I picked up on something I'd not noticed before.

"Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven."

One of the readers of an earlier post criticized me for the prayer for Osama. I had referred to Osama as a "child of God." I said that, thinking that all of God's human creations are his children. The reader said Osama was not a child of God. "You stop being a child of God when you attack God's other children."

I'm not going to debate that -- whether or not another person is a child of God is not a question I feel called to answer.

However, in the Sunday School class, I realized there is another question I am called to answer. Am I a child of God?

Jesus related loving our enemies and praying for them is something you do "that you may be children of your Father in heaven."

So what I need to ask is, "am I becoming a child of God?"

I feel the Holy Spirit leading me to pray for Osama. Obviously many of you also feel that call, and many more do not.

So I will pray.

3 Comments:

Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

well you know what they say: He works in mysterious ways...

8:54 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I linked your blog from a comment you placed on mine regarding PCUSA and divestment. As a Christian who has been living in the Middle East for some time and a member of a Presbyterian church (PCA), I have greatly appreciated the stance of PCUSA on the Palestinian/Israeli conflict and the decision made to pursue divestment.

I also enjoyed the story of your son's girlfriend and the previous entries and added your blog to our favorites list.

1:55 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

I'm with you one-hundred percent on that one and I have thought a great deal about it. He clarifies the first two commandments and then he tells us this. It is a parameter. We are to love our neighbor as ourselves--no exceptions. And, I have come to believe that it is this very love, this compassionate, kind, accepting love that brings us the grace of God. The children of God understand his great love and they share his great love.

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home