Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Hurricane Katrina - The Worst Is Yet To Be Known

I am glad I am part of a connectional church.

Being a connectional church means that I am connected with people in Louisiana and Mississippi who need help -- and they are connected to us and others who can give it.

The Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA) is actively involved in responding to Hurricane Katrina.

What happens in a situation like this is that money from the One Great Hour of Sharing is being released right now. We took that offering at Easter, and it prepares a storehouse of funds for disasters like Katrina. I understand $500,000 from that fund is being used today.

A special fund is also being set up to help provide food, medical care, shelter -- whatever is needed. Presbyterians will work with other churches in an ecumenical effort, as well as with secular relief agencies. You can give to this special account, DR000169 the Presbyterian Church, USA, has established for those wishing to respond financially.

Pastor John Reighney of First Presbyterian in Jennings, LA, said their might be a dozen or more churches which may be declared a total loss, based on reports of the flooding in New Orleans. Jennings, in the western half of the state, was untouched by Hurricane Katrina. His congregation is helping feed more than 300 evacuees.

Nearly half of the 66 churches in South Louisiana Presbytery may be damaged, said Mike Mann, interim general presbyter. The presbytery office will open as soon as feasible - possibly at 10am Wednesday or 10am Thursday.

Presbyteries in Mississippi and Alabama have not yet been able to verify the extent of damage suffered by churches and members.

I fear the worst is yet to be known.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in the UK we don't get Hurricanes so it is difficult to imagine. It is only when you actually see the newspapers and news reports that it brings it all home.....

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone..

I too thought your story about your son's new girlfriend was great. I loved the way you kept us hanging on - I thought we were going to hear that she had tattoos and piercings galore!!!!!!!!!

B

2:22 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

You have a deeply insightful blog and I thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm finding you to be a good mentor as I begin my journey as a new pastor.
Peace,
Rev. Andy

7:21 AM  
Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

if you visit my blog you will see the "Blog for Hurricane Relief" info! you seem to get enough traffic on your blog that this might be a good addition to make here!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Angelique said...

I am glad that your ministry was prepared to help out in cases of disaster. I only wished other entities were as well organized as your church is. Keep it up, every thing helps in dealing with this horrible disaster. Thank you.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home