Saturday, July 09, 2005

Dad gets his revenge

Dad had several visitors today -- it was Saturday, so lots of people had time to drop by.

My Rabbi came to see me. Of course, it's not really my rabbi. It's a buddy from high school who is Jewish. I hadn't seen him in years. He used to call me his priest and I called him my rabbi. How wonderful it is to see an old friend walk through a doorway.

One of Step Mother's brothers came by to relieve me. I needed it! I went to the lobby and made a few phone calls. Imagine, using pay phones! Yep, they still have a few of them in Greenville Memorial Hospital. My cell phone needed recharging, so I used those old 20th Century devices :)

I touched base with several parishioners. Vern is back in the Jackson Hospital. Her cancer grows worse every day. Youth Director tells me one of the teenagers is pregnant. Associate Pastor has everything under control for tomorrow's service -- I knew he would. The weather has not been too bad in Miami. Wife says they had lots of the hurricane's bands coming through.

Just as I was hanging up, ready to drive to Dad's home for a long nap, Step Mother's brother came out of the elevator.

He walked right past me and I called to him.

"Sorry," he said sheepishly. "I just can't handle that. It's too much."

It's not too much for me. I am tired, but there is something precious and humbling to be here. It's an honor of sorts to be the one who sits and waits at the bedside of someone you love, and who has loved you, waiting for that person's last breath.

Throughout the day, I help my Dad. He needs help to eat. He needs help to roll over. He needs help to move to a comfortable position. He needs help to pee.

He was sitting on the edge of the bed and I was holding a small urinal. A little urine sprayed against my arm. It was an awkward moment and I felt sad for my father, but he smiled and said, "Sorry, but I've waited 84 years to get you back for the time you pissed on me!"

We both laugh, and I ignore the fact that he referred to his age, rather than mine. He's only waited 50 years for his revenge :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Jajey said...

hey there! thanks for stopping by..

hope to see you more often on my page..

Godbless!

2:25 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Hi! I stumbled upon your blog and enjoyed reading through it. I'll be back.

2:53 AM  
Blogger Jody Harrington said...

Blessings on you and your dad. As you say, it is a privilege to be with him and help him at this time.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I needed a good laugh before services. That was great!

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home