Thursday, July 07, 2005

Visiting My Father -- Who is Close To Death

I spent the night in Atlanta. When I got up my blood pressure was 160 over 106.
I drove to Greenville and arrived at the hospital to find one of my step sisters standing in the hallway. It was Nancy, although at the time, I didn't recall whether she was Nancy or Kathy. For some reason, when Dad and Hazel were married, they decided it was best to keep the families separate, with Dad and Step Mother celebrating Thanksgiving with one family, and Christmas with the other.

I went in to see Dad. It did not take long for me to come to the conclusion that I'd been completely misled about the seriousness of the situation. I don't know if Step Mother is in deep denial or what the problem is. This is obviously a life changing event for Dad and Step Mother. I don't know how Step Mother will be able to care for Dad after he leaves the hospital.

Florence came by for a while. It was good to see Dad's sister again. She is now in her 70's, still works at the nearby Red Cross, but is beginning to show some age. She remains a member of the Westminster Presbyterian Church. She did not like the former minister at all, but she does like the present pastor very much.

I talked to the office during the day, exchanged email and faxes, and kept everyone posted.
Phil came by today. It is good to be able to know Dad's pastor. I met his doctors, and was able to talk with Lloyd Hayes, who told me that Dad's pneumonia is very severe and is located in the lower portion of the left lung.

When the physical therapist came by, Dorris, she walked him into the hall. They walked 10 feet -- the distance of the oxygen tube, and Dad walked with the assistance of Dorris and a walker. It exhausted him, and he did not make a second attempt that Dorris had planned on.

I did go to the house very briefly. By this time, Step Mother was feeling very bad. She has a cough and a sore throat and a fever. She will remain at home while I spend the night with Dad. I seemed to have come just at the right time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Hey, Apostle John. I am fairly familiar with the hospital where you are spending so many hours with your father. (I did some work there during my seminary days.) If you need anything, drop an email or post a comment on my site. You are in my prayers.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home