Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Lord Was Praised

Occasionally worship in my church does not go as planned. The sound system is off. The choir sputters. The Lay Leader loses his place. The sermon falls flat. As I leave the Sanctuary and head for the nearest restaurant, I might exchange glances with the Associate Pastor or the Music Director. "It will be better next week," we seem to say to each other. If we actually say anything, it is often, "The Lord was praised inspite of us."

The highlight for most people attending General Assembly is the worship service. Not all of the little services, but the one big Communion service on Sunday.

As electric guitars played, the choir was unheard until the second or third stanza.

When Robert Wilson led us in prayer, his mike was so poorly adjusted that all we could hear was his breathing until one of the sound team finally brought him a handheld mike.

Communion is usually served by intinction with people getting up and going to a station for the bread and wine, but here the elements were distributed as we remained in our seats -- a bit awkward for some. Volunteers in my section didn't seem to know what to do and I think a row in front of us was missed.

There were a few other glitches, but all in all, the Lord was praised in spite of human frailties.

The choirs were terrific. One group from Africa was particularly good. Yes, the Lord was praised.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're right on-as usual.
Andy

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it was a bummer that the sound system had some problems. The liturgical dancers did a beautiful job! The dancers dressed in white and dancing with the scarves were beautiful. The little kids with the pom poms dressed in yellow were so cute and added a lot to the service.

I agree that the group from Congo did an excellent job. Their orange clothes accented the energy with which they sang.

The call to worship was also very impressive. There were six paricipants (the program only lists 5 so I don't know who the 6th was). There were 5 women and one man. Each spoke in turn in their own language.

The sermon was given by Setri Nyomi and was about the great cloud of witnesses. (It doesn't say but I'm wondering if he was from the Congo as well?)

I agree, the choirs were terrific. I liked the Bethel College choir particularly but they were all good.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
I really enjoy your blog! Thanks for your honest heart and truthfulness, it is refreshing to hear someone be real. Its cool to read about real people who serve Jesus.

I am a musician, and I would be honored if you would check out my music. All music on my site is free for download. Anyway, don't want to be a pest, I just thought that I'd share.

Thanks,
-Sean
_____________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home