Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Secret Indentity of the Apostle John

Here is a great statement from FISHBOWL at http://dctoo.blogspot.com/. He talks about me :)

"He is a newish presbyterian pastor down in florida. One of the things I'm thinking through as a new pastor is how to blog authentically my thoughts/musings/feelings while being pastoral to the church at the same time. I'm not sure, but I don't think that apostle john identifies which church he pastors in his blog: it is psuedo-anonymous by my quick glance. I wonder if his church knows about it."

Newish? I love it. I told dctoo, the writer of Fishbowl, that I am nothing more than an old fart with bad breath, a big pot belly, an enough grey hair in my black beard that I look like I've slobbered my milk.

So how much is true in my blog?

I had a commenter named RG -- I really miss him, as he had great comments about my posts. Very critical, but his writing kept me on my toes. He thought he knew who I was -- that I was a pastor in another state. Then he figured out that I wasn't really a minister at all.

So who am I?

I am a minister.

I am a member of the Presbyterian Church (USA).

I'm in South Florida -- and I used to say which city, but decided I should be a bit more vague.

My church is multicultural and includes people of every race. There are over 30 nationalities in my congregation.

I was ordained in 1980.

I'm in my 50's.

I wish I was in my 20's.

I've been married 31 years.

One of my sons is in the Air Force Reserves and will soon be going overseas. It is the power of his parent's prayer that he is going to England rather than Iraq.

The things I write about are basically true. Many things I do not write about at the time they happen, and a careful reading will reveal that some posts are about things that I say happened "not long ago."

My name is not John. I don't know how I came up with the name "Apostle John" other than to say he is my favorite biblical author.

Originally the name of the blog was "A Christian Minister." It was started by another minister in Georgia, and then he and I and another kept it up together. That didn't last for long, and now I am the sole owner and writer of the blog.

I change the names of people in my church -- ever notice that many people appear in alphabetical order during a post.

I don't think anyone in my church has ever stumbled on my blog.

I think it would be really neat if I stumbled on one of theirs :) Then I could really know what they are thinking in the pews.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea -- stumbling across the blog of a Church member might be very revealing!

And as I expressed to RG last year -- I really don't care who or where you are -- your blog keeps me thinking about my calling to be ministers of the gospel and what it means to be a person and a minister -- and I deeply appreciate that!

6:19 AM  
Blogger Angelique said...

I miss RG, too! He was argumentative and he really didn't care to hear about anyone's opinions but I kind of miss that odd man out. I hope he is okay and that I haven't read about him in the news lately.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

so...wait, i'm confused. what end of the spectrum are serendipity and i on? and what is the spectrum about?

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home